A very detailed study of this early Texas ranch and the pioneer Jose Vasquez Borrego family, but also a lot of information on the Vidaurri family. Courtesy also of the Mecom family property owners. Co-authored by Melinda Tate Iruegas. The land grant started with a fortified ranch structure to protect the family from Indians and marauders form across the Rio Grande. It dates from 1753, when Colonel José de Escandón donated a 350,000-acre grant, a portion of which would eventually become the village of Corralitos ( little corrals) and part of an effort to hold title to the Borrego family grant known originally as Nuestra Señora de los Dolores. Don Jose Fernando Vidaurri, grandson of the original Borrego grant owner, built the single-room dwelling of sandstone, mud mortar, mesquite, and Montezuma cypress. It had 33-inch thick walls; one door on the east elevation; no windows; six gun ports; and a flat 11-foot ceiling. The gun ports facilitated the muzzle of a black-powder firearm, which extended through the opening to be visible form the outside. Lots of content. This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.